Project management software is used is a variety of ways, its main purpose is to facilitate the planning and tracking of project components, stakeholders and resources
Project management software caters to the following primary functions:
- Project planning: To define a project schedule, a project manager (PM) may use the software to map project tasks and visually describe task interactions.
- Task management: Allows for the creation and assignment of tasks, deadlines and status reports.
- Document sharing and collaboration: Productivity is increased via a central document repository accessed by project stakeholders.
- Calendar and contact sharing: Project timelines include scheduled meetings, activity dates and contacts that should automatically update across all PM and stakeholder calendars.
- Bug and error management: Project management software facilitates bug and error reporting, viewing, notifying and updating for stakeholders.
- Time tracking: Software must have the ability to track time for all tasks maintain records for third-party consultants.